What we call "open field"?
Large lots or acres of land with tall grass, weeds and light brush. Very few rocks. No sidewalks, fences, chain link, bricks or any other solid objects around.
Bladed units are the best heads for large lots with tall grass and light brush however, due to the nature of the blades, these units are not recommended to use around rocks, fences or any other solid objects. Not only blades will wear out faster but they can become quite dangerous against rocks, bricks or concrete. For lots with solid objects go to the Open field - Solid objects or the Trimming sections.
The recommendations are based on the type of job to be performed but the head your trimmer can use will depend on the brand, type and engine size. Make sure you check the Brands Section to see which of the heads listed below your trimmer can use.
We recommend the following heads for open fields with tall grass and weeds (click on the model number for more information):
- 3600 - Bladed unit. 3 nylon blades. Only head recommended for light trimmers and / or curved shafts
- 4600 - Bladed unit. 3 nylon blades. Recommended for heavier engines, straight shafts 27cc or more or commercial grade curved shafts.
- 4620 - Bladed unit. 3 nylon blades. No need to remove the head off the trimmer to put new blades in. Recommended only for commercial grade straight shaft trimmers.
- 4680 - Bladed unit. 3 metal blades. Recommended for commercial grade trimmers.
- 4750 Multi-Tool. Switch from nylon blades to trimmer line (.080, .095 or .105).
- Blades should be used on tall grass, tough weeds and brush only. Line units work better on short grass.
- Let the tips of the blade do the work. If you jam the whole head against what you are cutting not only the blades will lose effectiveness but you may end up with weeds wrapped around the trimmer.
- To avoid the issue of the head torquing itself down, unscrew after each use. Make sure there's no grass, dirt or debris clogging any part of the head and immediately screw back on.
- Use only the blades designed for the specific GrassGator head model. Metal blades (4690) are designed to work ONLY with our brush cutter model 4680. Do not use metal blades on any other GrassGator head.
- DO NOT use bladed units around solid objects.
- DO NOT use vertical or as a saw
If you would like to help us keep our database up to date by reporting a successful installation on a particular model or if you can't find the answer to your question, please Contact Us
Copyright © CMD Products All Rights Reserved